By Peter Ungphakorn
POSTED JULY 5, 2021 | UPDATED JULY 5, 2021
On the eve of the July 4 holiday, the United States announced new tariff quotas for some dairy products and tobacco imported from Britain and the European Union, from 2022.
This is the other side of the coin for an issue that has received much more attention — how the tariff quotas for imports into the original EU28 are being split between the post-Brexit EU27 and the UK, the on-going discussion in the World Trade Organization (WTO), and the resolution with some of the objecting countries.
Presumably Britain and the EU have accepted these new conditions on their exports.
The US move only affects six tariff quotas. Five are on dairy products (mainly cheese) and one is for tobacco. The announcement is here. To find out which products are involved, we have to match it with additional notes in chapter 4 (dairy products) and chapter 24 (tobacco) of the US list of tariffs (its tariff schedule, at the time of writing described as “Version: 2021 Basic Revision 5”).
The present (2021) US tariff quotas are for an “EU27” that includes the UK but not Croatia. So the US is sticking with “EU27” for 2022, adding Croatia and removing the UK (see “additional note 2”).
Cheeses and substitutes for cheese (with cows milk, generally hard and not low fat (details in additional note 16)
- Original EU tariff quota (kg) = 27,846,224
- New tariff quotas (kg): UK = 2,213,374 + EU27 = 25,632,850
Blue-mould cheese (excluding stilton) (details in additional note 17)
- Original EU tariff quota (kg) = 2,829,000
- New tariff quotas (kg): UK = 23,617 + EU27 = 2,805,383
Cheddar cheese and cheese (details in additional note 18)
- Original EU tariff quota (kg) = 1,313,000
- New tariff quotas (kg): UK = 895,948 + EU27 = 417,052
Butter, and cream (with high butter-fat, details in additional note 6). This is a general tariff quota for 6,977,000 kg but with published country-specific in-quota quantities
- Original EU tariff quota (kg) = 96,161
- New tariff quotas (kg): UK = 14,062 + EU27 = 82,099
(details in additional note 5(a))
- Original EU tariff quota (tonnes) = 10,000
- New tariff quotas (tonnes): UK = 44 + EU27 = 9,956
Thanks to Amy Porges for the alert on the announcement
Updates: None so far
Cheeses | Polina Tankilevitch, Pexels, CCO
Tobacco | Tim Mossholder, Unsplash licence